Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Gillette Super Stainless/Spoiler Timeline





Gillette Super Stainless/Spoiler Timeline


Over the course of the last few years I have collected over 700 Gillette Super Stainless/Spoiler razor blades - enough to last me over 10 years.  I've found these blades to be some of the best out there and I'm intrigued by their legendary status and loyal following among many DE enthusiasts.  As my collection has grown, I've noticed how the blades and packaging have changed. I thought it would be useful to create a dating guide.  Fortunately, Gillette made this a bit easier by having the foresight to put date codes on its blades, as well as its razors.  Of course, this only helps if the packs have been opened. Hopefully this guide will help some of you to identify the year, or range of years your blade was produced without having to open your sealed packages.  

This listing is in no way finished and I welcome the assistance of others in making sure the data here are as correct and complete as possible.  I've included photos of the blades I own, as well as some photos I found on www.mr-razor.comI would also like to add a little history around the blades, but haven't had much luck finding information that I can verify. If you have further insight into these blades, or have photos from years I'm missing, please feel free to comment below, or email me at harvey60@gmail.com. I will be happy to update this document with your information and give you appropriate credit.  

1960s

1965 K shows no sign of the Spoiler brand, but are reported to be an earlier version of the same great blades that were branded "Spoiler" in 1971. 


1967 M case and blade appear unchanged.


In 1968 N or 1969 O (shown below) the case was modified with "Super Stainless Steel" moved from below the window to either side of the window.  The number of blades was listed below the window. Patent #2544410 is removed from the blade.


1970s

1970 P case and blade appear unchanged


1971 R is the year the Spoiler brand was launched, with several different case versions, depending on the quarter the blades were manufactured.  As you can see from the photo below, the R1 and R4 cases look quite different.  At some time after the first quarter, Gillette added the "Spoiler" logo to the right side of the case window.


This apparently was not the "Spoiler" logo's first appearance.  As you can see from the photo below, the "Spoiler" logo was used on external packaging (see top right package) prior to being added to the case.  This likely happened some time in 1971 before the fourth quarter.


The packaging remained the same in 1972 S 


In 1973 T or 1974 U (shown below), the black background at the top of the case was changed to white, the Gillette name at the top was smaller and in a different different font, the number of blades was moved to the bottom edge, and "Super Stainless" was moved from the left side to below the window. The case and blades remained unchanged though 1976 W.




































Source: Mr. Razor Website http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/Rasierklingen.htm







In 1977 X a second patent #3518110 was added to the blade and the space between the year and quarter codes was increased. The blades and case remained unchanged through 1982 C, which is the last production year I could identify.


















1980's



5 comments:

  1. Is there any variation in shave quality comparing the older versions of the Spoiler (with black trim) to the more recent all-white packaging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't noticed any difference in shave quality. I'll pull an early and late blade over the next week, compare them and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I have spoiler blades made in the United States from 1988 after about 89 the production went to france.

    I'm interested in the answer to the previous question also what I have heard is that after the platinum blade came out Gillette started getting a little lax on quality control so consumers would be more likely to purchase the more expensive blade more so later on with the Trac II and Atra. I personally think this is just a conspiracy theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have a nos pack of spoliers and my blades are marked F-3 with both pat numbers.. I see no reference to f codes? Please advise.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I have a supply of these new in sealed packages that were trimmed off some other product packaging. I will have to open one of the packages to see what the blades read. I honestly didn't know people still used these blades. I was surprised to see the asking price of these blades on ebay, even if I were to offer them 1/2 price, I see it is a small fortune! I am going to try to sell them on Poshmark. Thank you for helping with my research!

    ReplyDelete